It is now officially summer in the desert, and an excessive heat warning is already in effect. Temperatures are supposed to be in the mid-110s the next few days. Once glance at my garden and you can tell.
I debated whether or not to plant a spring/summer garden this year - what with a new baby and all - but ultimately decided to give it a go. Unfortunately, I have been unable to harvest much due to the ridiculous heat and a ridiculous influx of GREEDY BIRDS. Nearly all my grapes and most of my tomatoes have been ravaged by these nasty creatures. What remains is curiously small. (I presume this is due to lack of nutrients? Heat? Way too much sunlight?)
For example...
Small tomato:
Small watermelon:
Small carrot:
(Ironically, the carrots I pulled for this photo op were much bigger than the others I've harvested.)
I'm thinking it's about time to tear it all down and let the garden sit until fall. Who wants to be outside weeding in this heat, anyway?
No comments:
Post a Comment