Friday, March 4, 2011

the introverted garden

Islamic gardens have surprising unity across the vast geography of the Muslim world. Historically, such gardens were representative of or inspired by the Quran's description of paradise, though over time such unity was likely the result of certain principles and elements rooted in Muslim faith and culture.

As compared to Western garde
ns, which have been outward-focused - some would say "showy" - Islamic gardens are introverted. Traditional gardens are surrounded by walls, buildings, or trees. They are private. They are a place of rest from the chaos of the city, the dry and dusty desert, or the death of this world. They are spaces of peace, water, and life.

Some scholars point to seven different concepts that are found in garden design throughout the Islamic world: diversity, beauty, conservation, contextuality, individualism, multiple-use, and moderation. While I appreciate each of these concepts, I'm not going to take the time here to discuss each one. But as it is spring, at least here in the desert southwest, I am currently planting my seasonal garden and continuing the design of our patio and garden (a multi-year project in our fixer-upper of a home). A couple of these concepts really appeal to me.


Conservation: Water is valuable in desert lands, so it must be used wisely. Fountains can provide a celebration of water in careful ways.


Contextuality: I love this observation from Safei El-Deen Hamed: "Each design has to fit into two environments: the natural and the urban, the God-made and the man-made. If a Muslim designer disrespects the former he will be a sinner, and if he disregards the latter his action will be considered evidence of a lack of civility." For those of us who live in urban and suburban areas, this is something to keep in mind.


Multiple Use: This is my personal favorite, and something that I believe has been lacking in home gardens and Western gardens in general. Some complain that it even has been declining in Muslim gardening. Traditionally, Islamic gardens were oases in a desert - they provided water, food, shade, beauty, scents, and activity for humans, birds, and animals. Today, I think these deserts could be literal (the Sahara or central Arizona) or figurative (urban sprawl). The basic idea is for gardens to be as productive as they are lovely.


I have been reminiscing lately on my past visits to Morocco. Whether because of the similarity of climate, its interesting cultural and artistic history, or the delicious food, I became rather fond of the country. Someday, I would like to return. In the meantime, I am inspired by these photos as I plan my own garden:













1 comment:

  1. The older I get, the more I value gardens as a private haven. While this option is non-existent in NYC living (most recent "garden" was basil in a pot on my windowsill) its one I look forward to in a future season of life.

    ReplyDelete